Types of Truck Accidents
Trucking Accidents – Some Facts to Know
Despite the serious consequences of trucking accidents and the numerous truck accident lawsuits that have been filed, statistics show that truck accidents are still at an all-time high. Learn more about truck accidents and the sobering statistics below.
Semi-Truck & Heavy Truck Accident Statistics
- Nearly thirteen percent of the 15.5 million trucks in the U.S. are semis, big rigs, 18-wheelers, and tractor-trailers
- About 98% of all semi accidents result in at least one fatality
- For every 100 million miles driven on U.S. roadways, there are 2.3 deaths and 60.5 injuries caused by big rigs
- Fatal tractor-trailer accidents cost Americans over $20 billion each year, $13.1 billion of which is the cost associated with loss of quality of life
Commercial Truck Accident Statistics
- $59,150 is the average cost of a commercial truck accident
- Nearly 90% of commercial truck accidents are caused or worsened by human error—either by the truck driver, other drivers, other vehicle passengers, etc.
- About 75% of commercial truck accidents are caused by drivers of other smaller passenger vehicles, rather than the truck driver
- Driver fatigue is responsible for roughly 30% of all commercial truck accidents
Truck Accident Injury Statistics
- About 130,000 people are injured each year in truck collisions
- About 22% of all truck accidents result in injuries
- About 70% of truck accidents result in only property damage with no injuries or deaths
Fire Truck Accident Statistics
- There are nearly 2,500 fire truck accidents in the U.S. each year
- From 1998 to 2007, at least ten firefighters were killed in fire truck crashes each year
- Rollover accidents can account for 66% of all deadly fire truck accidents
At Simpson Law Group, our San Diego truck accident attorneys can help you seek compensation if you have been injured.
If you or a loved one has been hurt in a preventable truck accident, we are available 24/7 to help you. Send us an email or call (619) 236-9696 now to request your FREE case review.